Friday, October 19, 2007

The Culturally Savvy Christian

I've been reading this book for the past week. I pulled some great thoughts out for my message on Sunday (I'm not that original, just a good researcher). Here is one part I would have loved to used, but, alas there was no more space in the message,

"So here's the deal. The largest companies in the world are hiring smart people and spending billions of dollars to drive a diversionary, mindless, celebrity-fueled popular culture down the highway of new technologies and into our lives in order to sell us stuff we don't want or need. They don't care about us, what we believe, or how we want to live. Their ads and products regularly reduce women to sex objects and men to voyeurs and predators. They are unconcerned with what is in our best interest spiritually or intellectually, and in fact, it is in their best interest to keep us spiritually desensitized and dumb. They play to our unhappiness, magnifying our feeling that we are missing something essential and that if we had this something that they offer we would be fulfilled. They then encourage us to shop, convincing us that shopping will do today what it failed miserably to do yesterday--fill what French religious philosopher Pascal calls our God-shaped vacuum.
Today's superficial popular culture is symptomatic of our human malaise, and technology, marketing, and the lust for profits simply spread our addiction and disease faster and further. For the first time in history it is possible for entertainment culture to distribute our spiritual sickness worldwide, producing a spiritual pandemic."

The Culturally Savvy Christian pp. 26-27

Reflecting on what Staub has to say I think that he is too negative toward pop culture. He doesn't seem to carry a heart for common grace nor for the positive side of what companies and businesses are doing. There is an assumption that none of these businesses are of good intent or led by well meaning Christ followers or well meaning non-Christians. I think that the Contemporary Testimony of the Christian Reformed church might have some play here,
51.
In our work, even in dull routine,[1]
we hear the call to serve our Lord.
We must work for more than wages,[2]
and manage for more than profit,[3]
so that mutual respect
and the just use of goods and skills[4]
may shape the work place,
and so that, while we earn or profit,
useful products and services may result.

But given these reflections, I still believe that Staub gives much for thought and reflection both in this quote and in his book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your sermon this Sunday was very good. We have been visiting your church and I left feeling challenged. When you couple that with doing a Bible Study with friends on the book of Daniel, I have been very challenged to look at my take on the world. It's a fine line between being in the world but not of the world. We have to appear to be part of the culture or we won't be able to win people to the Lord. However, we can't become the world. It's a struggle. It's nice to see I'm not the only one thinking of the "gray" area. Thanks for adding the CRC view. It's strikes me especially right now as I'm going through re-evaluating my business. Challenging me to give it to the Lord for His glory. Thank you for your thoughts. They touched me tonight. Stephanie