Thursday, February 7, 2008

Missing the Mark


Luke 15 has the familiar story of the prodigal son.   I was reading that story again a couple of days ago and thought how little this story shocks me.   A young man wants his inheritance, his dad gives it to him, he blows it in a crazy lifestyle, his dad exercises some grace and welcomes him home.   
At our staff Christmas party Dave Stravers taught us through the eyes of culture just how shocking this passage really is.   By all rights what the son has asked and done should have brought about his death--we (at least I do) however see all of this as no big deal.
Remembering what Dave had taught I couldn't help but wonder if my lack of shock at the story reflects my overall lack of outrage at my own sin.   Like I yawn when I read of an outrageous sin against a father, so I yawn at my own sin ignoring how outrageous it is against the Father.  Maybe a good reminder from time to time of what's really going on in the story of the prodigal would be a good reminder of what's really going on when I sin.  Something to think on.

No comments: