Sunday, October 26, 2008

Jeremiah's uncomfortable thoughts...


The book of Jeremiah is filled with the kind of words that make one think deeply. As I made my way through chapters 10-12 there were more than enough thoughts that made me pause. Here ia one for today, another coming tomorrow:
10.21 For the shepherds are stupid and do not inquire of the Lord; therefore they have not prospered, and all their flock is scattered.
This verse brings to mind a reality that I'm facing more and more. The need to let the word (Sola Scriptura) be the guide for my life. I know that those in Pentecostal circles speak of visions, dreams, etc. I don't doubt that God graciously speaks to some in that way, but my experience on such things is extremely spotty at best. Each time I am tempted to go down that path it seems that it drives me back to the Scriptures as the only true and solid foundation for life, practice, direction. Shepherds who seek other paths or at the very least don't take their dreams, visions etc. and hold them up against God's word seem to follow the path of those stupid shepherds. By the way, doesn't calling people stupid seem harsh in our context? Yet, what else is a person who doesn't inquire of the Lord?
By the way, inquiring of the Lord in this context is all wrapped up with knowing, understanding, and living out the covenant. To inquire means to find out how God wants you to live in light of the covenant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So if the sheperds had inquired of the Lord they would have prospered?