Friday, January 2, 2009

Beginning with John


Reading through 1 John a few weeks ago I was taken with the book and the depth of thought that is in it. I decided at that time to return to 1 John and move beyond reading to a closer study. As I make my way through the book I'll post some of what I've discovered. Here's the start:

1 John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life—

From the beginning: The origin, the first
John is hugely concerned with the historical reality of the message: heard, seen (become acquainted with by experience), looked upon (to learn by looking), touched (felt with hands, groped). My sense is that this physical introduction has to do with those who denied that Jesus Christ is human (John will talk about this later in the book). Here we find the beginnings of a battle against a proto-gnostic idea. But his beginning this way and his concern about those who would deny the true humanity of Christ leads me to wonder why he will choose to teach what follows. This will be truly interesting--John's concern for Jesus being rooted in history and his being truly human leading to teaching certain things. Also, in a gospel that is lifted up for its emphasis on love this seems to be an interesting way to begin -- rooted in history, not in feelings.

No comments: