Friday, March 13, 2009

Waving Goodbye to organized Faith


Organized Religions Losing Believers In America
Reported by: Web Producer
Monday, Mar 9, 2009 @05:20am CST
Survey: Organized Religions Losing Believers In America
Americans are exploring a new spirituality according to a new survey.
The American Religious Identification poll is scheduled for release today.
It will say the percentage of Americans who label themselves as Christian has tumbled more than eleven-percent in a single generation.
The ARIS survey says almost all religious denominations have lost members since the poll was first taken in 1990.
"USA Today" quotes survey co-author Barry Kosmin as saying, "more than ever before, people are just making up their own stories of who they are.
They say, I'm everything, I'm nothing.  I believe in myself."
Among the survey findings: 15-percent of Americans claim they're affiliated with no organized religion.
While Baptists are represented by nearly 16-percent of the population the number is down from more than 19-percent in 1990.
The Catholic faith is claimed by more than 25-percent of survey respondents, down about one-percent from earlier polls.
Jewish numbers have dropped from one-point-eight-percent in 1990 to one-point-two-percent today.
Bucking the trend is the percentage of people saying they're Muslims.
That's doubled from three-tenths of a percent in 1990 to six-tenths of a percent today.
Some of the shift may be caused by an educational deficit.
Reverend Kendall Harmon, a theologian for the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina says a couple once walked into his office carrying a yellow pad full of questions their teenage son had provided.
Among them: "what is that guy doing hanging up there on the plus sign?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"more than ever before, people are just making up their own stories of who they are.
They say, I'm everything, I'm nothing. I believe in myself."

As Obama touted in his campaign...People want change! People want life transformation which just isn't being found. If my life reflects nothing different than my neighbor next to me, why would that neighbor want to attend a congregation of those people?! People are becoming more individualistic, prideful, and selfish, and I do think this plays a role. However, maybe B.Manning hit it on the head with this phrase...

"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

If their isn't life change (a new life), if their isn't a difference in the way we live, why would I want that?

Larry Doornbos said...

Thanks for the thought. It hits on the direction I'm heading this Sunday. Who knows, the B. Manning quote may even find its way in.

Unknown said...

I almost sent you that B. Manning quote a few months ago......