Monday, January 17, 2011

My Best Gift


During the Christmas season one of the best gifts I received was a letter from my son Chris. The letter, which a friend helped him write, talks about his response to my biking accident this past summer. Several people who have seen the letter encouraged me to share it with the congregation. So here it is:

Dad,
I love you and appreciate you. It was hard for me when I heard about your accident from mom. Immediately my hands were shaking and I felt sick. Over the next few days I spent my time with Grandma, Grandpa, and friends worrying about your health. I was so excited when I finally saw you in a wheelchair at Mary Free Bed. It scared me, but I was happy that you were alive. I had a balloon, picture, and a “welcome home” sign ready for you when you came home. I was so happy you were home, but scared that you couldn’t walk and that you had the halo on. I still think you looked like a guy from Star Trek. The first time you preached with Tom I was crying and was really happy to see you up on stage. I’m so glad that you are walking today. I know this was a hard summer, but we made it through together.

Love,
Chris

No comments: