Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dealing with the Pain of $4.00 a Gallon


I came across a sure fire way to increase mpg by up to 30%. Sadly it involves what most of us can't imagine doing--driving slower. A recent article from the San Franscico Chronicle puts it out there for us:

...cars get the best mileage between 45 and 55 mph, Monahan said. As speeds creep higher, fuel efficiency drops. For every mile per hour over 60 mph, she said, fuel economy drops by an average of around 1 percent.

"Going 65 is really lowering your fuel efficiency," she said. "And it gets worse at 75."

How much you stand to save depends on a lot of factors. With gas at $4 a gallon, a person who drives 400 miles a week and a vehicle getting 20 mpg would save $18.74 a week by slowing down from 75 to 55 mph, extrapolating from the government's most recent figures on the subject. Even a more moderate deceleration - from 70 to 60 mph - would save that driver $11.74 a week..

The results are striking. Slowing from 70 to 60 mph improved average fuel efficiency by 17.2 percent. A big slowdown - from 75 to 55 mph - improved fuel efficiency by a whopping 30.6 percent.


Just thought you'd like to know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The forecast for fuel prices always seem the worse during the summer. However, when I commute during the summer I save more money than any other time of the year. And, it doesn't matter if I speed up or slow down. I save all my money because I am on my bike. :o)

Larry Doornbos said...

The joy of biking in the summer! Although I don't make the trip every day (my goal is 3-4 times a week) I find it does make for great mileage. Also, it's always fun to smile to yourself when a Prius goes by knowing that they can never get the mileage you do.

Uncle Amos said...

I sold my car and get around Grand Rapids with my bike and the bus. Granted, I "borrow" my brothers car less than once a week (of course, he gives me a ride to church)

For some more good tips, check out: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml

Also, keeping your tires inflated to the correct PSI is a good idea for a lot of reasons: your tires last longer and you increase fuel efficiency up to 3%.