Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Day After


The strong negative response to the election of Barack Obama by some of my friends went through my mind yesterday as I was working on the Luke 6 passage for our weekly dusty Bible study for EverGreen. It seems to me that some see president-elect Obama as truly their enemy. So the quesiton is: "If I'm going to be faithful to Christ in these days, how do I treat my enemies?"

The words of Jesus from Luke may have something to say to this. Although I don't find myself fearful that persecution or any other kind of abuse is going to come, perhaps for those who see Barak Obama as an enemy, it may be wise to take the route Jesus calls us to.

27 “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. Luke 6

How well this passage connects to the election may be a bit tenous, but it just might be a good place to start.

2 comments:

Stacey Jo said...

hi uncle larry :) i just found your blog and am finding it very interesting. my dad told me that many people were taking the election news in MI poorly. living in ny, i am having a very hard time understanding. as christians we should be always seeking how to love the poor, the disadvantaged. even if it means we have to make sacrifices. and here with barack...the poor found hope. someone to speak up for them. to listen. and yet so many christians said "this is not good for me". are we not listening anymore? not asking the poor what is best for them? not understanding the importance of equality? can we not take a step out of our own shoes and into someone's else and see. how important, historical, and joyous this win is. my kids who i work with in the projects wrote letters to barack the day after the election. one 1st grader wrote "Dear Barack Obama, I love you cause you love me". i think that sums up what everyone is feeling out here. black. white. poor. rich. that we will have a president who is connected to the people. who understands that life is complicated. and who loves. anyway...sorry i have strong opinions. if you ever get a chance check out my blog: http://staceyjodoornbos.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,
You have a very intelligent niece.