Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Understanding God

In the gospel of John Jesus consistent tells us that if you know him, you know the Father.  If you have seen him, you have seen the Father.  One place we get a taste of this is in in John 8.19 They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, a“You know neither me nor my Father. bIf you knew me, you would know my Father also.”  As I consistently come across this truth is has led me to wonder, "How does this truth change the way that we understand God as we encounter him in the Old Testament?"  Could it be that when we read the Old Testament and see the face of God in the Old Testament in the mirror of Jesus in the new that we get a different understanding of the Father?  Could it be that we may need to reread and reinterpret how we see the Father at some level if we take seriously Jesus' claims about being the true picture of God?  

1 comment:

Ryan Wallace said...

I can't wait to discuss this with you tomorrow morning. During my studies I have been continuously led back to this very idea.

If Jesus continuously points back to the Father and even states that it is for God's glory that He is alive and that we will be saved through His blood...It's very important for us to recognize God as the FATHER, and to live out the implications of that in our lives like Jesus did. The glory, grace and implications of what God did by sending His Son is just huge.

Another thing I noticed while studying Genesis is the idea of us being made in the image of God. We were created to bring glory to God...Then we were meant to bring glory to all of God (Father, Son, And Spirit). If we miss a part of the Trinity, we can't understand the fullness of God, not to mention we miss out on the opportunity to fully praise Him. I think many times we grab on to one aspect of God we like (he is love, helping, healing, grace, provider) and neglect the things that are a little harder. For most people, God the Father is unknown and harder to swallow then Jesus, and people are just scared of the Spirit. However, the cool part is that they are all one which makes up who God is...An understanding we can't fully grasp.

I have been discussing this with friends for well over 2 months now, and am happy to see that you are being led there also...see yah morrow!