Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A bit from 2 Kings 1-2

With Linda laid up my time for Bible reading has changed a bit. I'm now Bible listening more than Bible reading (I remembered this morning that the Bible was made first to be listened to, only later to be read). My Bible listening happens in the mornings when I walk our two dogs--not my favorite activity, but it needs to be done. Since I take these walks not only for the dogs but also to get myself in shape for next summer's trip to Israel I usually walk about 3.5 miles which gives me some significant listening time.

Anyway, a few days ago I was listening to the story of Elijah and Elisha. As I listened to the last days of Elijah's life before going to heaven I realized something: the second to the last miracle performed by Elijah is centered around the destruction of soldiers who profane the name of God by not honoring Elijah as a prophet. After this we find that King Ahaziah who has treated Elijah with contempt (by sending these soldiers) dies without an heir i.e. there is no life in him. After this Elijah parts the waters of the Jordan and is taken up in the whirlwind. When Elijah is taken up Elisha asks for a double portion of his spirit. This request is granted by God. The next thing we see is Elisha parting the waters with Elijah's cloak. Then we find a rather odd little miracle story about Elisha healing the water of Jericho. It is odd, that is, until we see that it is a story of life given to those who are obedient to God--notice that the water will no longer cause death or miscarriage (King Ahaziah had no children, was miscarriage involved?). Then the next story we discover is that odd story of the children who call Elisha "baldhead" and are attacked by the bears. It too seems odd until we see it in parallel with the destruction of the soldiers. As they had dishonored God's prophet, so these children are dishonoring God's prophets in a significant way. Since the spirit of Elijah rests on Elisha we would expect no other result than the punishment of those who speak this dishonor.

So here's the picture

Elijah Dishonored/ punishment Elisha Dishonored/Punishment
Ahaziah, has no offspring/life because he disobeys A city with faithful people receive new water that gives life/ no miscarriages
Elijah parts the Jordan Elisha parts the Jordan

No comments: