Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sunday

First, thanks to Pastor Tom who added to his workload and preached for me today. At about 10:30 I was finishing up the first wave of my morning nursing and family duties and knew for sure there was no way I could have pulled off preaching today.

Linda had a pretty good day yesterday, but today has been a reverse. She is very sick to her stomach and that is adding a lot of pain. It seems that the pain meds make her sick and so she has to decide which pain is worse--flu like symptoms or the pain of the break. Not a choice you really want to make.

Chris is continuing to get better and better. he's been a great helper making Linda's coffee in the morning, walking the dogs etc. I still am trying to sneak out and do a few things with him while Linda rests for a bit. We went for a short bike ride today, took the dogs for a walk and did a quick run to MacDonalds to get him lunch. I'm trying to give him as much normal stuff as I can while paying attention to Linda's needs.

Linda is going a bit crazy not being able to do anything on her own. Not only that but the stuff she usually does around the house now has to be done by Chris and me. She doesn't like that very much. Fortunately I still know my way around the kitchen, washer and drier etc.

As I've reflected a bit on all of this it has stuck me that Paul's words are so important to hang on to. "Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" 1 Cor. 10.31. Linda and I had some great plans for our vacation (first 6 day real vacation without Chris in 19 years), we were having a great summer bike riding, walking, and doing all kinds of outdoor stuff. I was riding my bike to work and getting in over 100 miles a week peddling and enjoying it. All of that has changed quickly. But as I think on it, whether I am doing those things or staying at home and caring for Linda and Chris the goal remains the same--"whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God". So while the shape of the summer has changed (and there's sadness in that change) the goal of the summer has not. Knowing that makes dealing with this unwelcome change possible and keeps me from dealing with it in negative ways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Glad you are home! Glad everyone is ok. Rich and I got back Sunday night from camping. Dawn Hoezee and I spoke before I left, and were trying to think of some things that we can do with Chris over the recoup time for Linda. Do you think that maybe one day a week we could take him to do some fun stuff? It seems to me that I still owe him some burgers on the grill (you guys can have some too). Anyhow, we were thinking that we would pick him up and go swimming, fishing, beach, or whatever, and hang out for the day, have dinner and maybe watch a movie, and then bring him home. Do you think he would be ok with that? Would YOU be ok with that? Also, what's going on with meals? I could whip up some of that soup that you liked, or maybe the lasagna dinner that lasts for days ( ha ha ha)You can call on my cell, 822-4701. We won't be going out of town til the end of next month, so call or email if you need ANYTHING 9even if it is to school the pooch ha ha ha. Take care, carefully give Linda a hug for me. Lori Lehman

Amanda from Georgia said...

Hi Larry,

You know I'm close by if you ever need anything. I can always pop over at lunch and help out. I'm at 393-2077 during the day.